Each year, life-saving and life-enhancing tissue is provided by approximately 30,000 tissue donors. Just one tissue donor can enhance the lives of more than 50 people.
Approximately 1.5 million allografts are transplanted each year for a variety of life-saving and life-enhancing surgeries that many are not aware of:
- bone grafts for patients with bones degenerated by cancer
- cornea transplants to help restore sight
- heart valves to replace damaged heart tissues
- skin grafts to save the lives of burn victims
- tendon, meniscus and soft tissue replacements to help people lead more active lives.